As you know, we love talking about hip-hop here at The Nerds of Color. More specifically, the subgenre known as Nerdcore has a special place (and its own category) here as well. So it was a big deal to get three of the biggest names in the game to sit down for a special episode of Hard N.O.C.
Joining Keith (@the_real_chow) on the show are overly enthusiastic hip-hop artists Adam WarRock (@eugewarrock), Tribe One (@tribeonewon), and Random (a.k.a. @MegaRan). As always, Hard N.O.C. Life is directed by the indomitable Nelson Wong (@aarisings).
Topics covered on the show include:
- How the guys feel about the label “nerdcore”
- Mega Ran and the formation of the Nerdy People of Color Collective
- WarRock and Tribe’s adventures in Magic: The Gathering
- The difference between nerdcore rap and rappers that talk about nerdy things
- What happens when marginalized cultures (nerds, hip-hop) become part of mainstream culture
- What it means to be rappers of color in a predominantly white musical genre (e.g., the reverse-Macklemore)
- Keith and Tribe reminisce about their favorite emo bands
- The music that influenced Tribe and WarRock’s formative years as artists
- All this and more on Hard NOC Life! Watch it on your screen, hit “play,” and check this.