Justin Aclin (@justinaclin), the writer and creator of Dark Horse Comics’ S.H.O.O.T. First, joins Keith (@the_real_chow) for a special one-on-one interview to talk about one of the most fun, provocative, and diverse comics on the stands today.
Topics covered on the show include:
- The secret origins of S.H.O.O.T. First
- Just how controversial is a book about atheists battling angels anyway?
- Watch Keith stretch to bring Pearl Jam’s new album Lightning Bolt into the discussion
- The differences and similarities between a crisis of faith and a crisis of no faith?
- Why Justin felt it necessary to populate a team book with a diverse set of characters
- The double-edged sword of being a white creator writing about non-white characters
- How Mrs. Brookstone can be a strong, black woman without falling into “Strong Black Women” stereotypes
- How reading The Nerds of Color made Justin reevaluate the twist ending of issue #2
All this and more on Hard N.O.C. Life! Watch it on your screen, hit “play,” and check this.
- Wednesday Comics: S.H.O.O.T. First Takes On Bad Religion (thenerdsofcolor.org)
- INTERVIEW: Justin Aclin and Nicolás Selma S.H.O.O.T. First (comicsbeat.com)