The last time we saw him, he was recovering in a hospital bed after being shot by a smaller bullet by Bloodsport. And now he has his own HBO Max series! That’s right! Christopher Smith, aka Peacemaker, is back in the brand new series, Peacemaker!
Today at DC FanDome, James Gunn, John Cena, and the whole crew were on hand to present to us the new teaser trailer and release date for the upcoming series, debuting January 13, 2022! Take a look at the trailer right here!
“There’s no superhero named Peacemaker!” exclaims Rizwan Manji’s (Schitt’s Creek) Jamil. And he’s right. Because Peacemaker (at least in The Suicide Squad) was a downright villain! It will be really interesting to see how the show attempts to justify the character after his actions at the end of Gunn’s film.
That being said, anyone who gets a hug from an American Bald Eagle named Eagley can’t be all that bad… right?
The trailer also features appearances from Vigilante (Freddie Stroma) and a few other surprises. In addition to Cena, reprising their roles from the film are Jennifer Holland (playing Emilia Harcourt) and Steve Agee (playing John Economos), and new to the DCEU are Robert Patrick, Chukwudi Iwuji, and Danielle Brooks, playing Adebayo, who looks to be the soul of the series!
I’ve made no secret at all about how much I loved The Suicide Squad. It may be one of, if not my favorite, films of the year. And all of it is because Gunn is a flat out genius and is full of brilliant ideas, and humor that matches my inner-12-year-old sensibilities! In fact, I can honestly say, I laughed out loud several times in this two minute teaser alone!
In addition to the trailer, we also got a really good Q&A with Gunn and the cast and crew. Here are a few tidbits from the Gunn and the cast:
- Stroma plays Vigilante. In real life he’s British.
- Brooks’ character Adebayo is “coming in very green. She used to work with animals and she’s thrown into this completely different world.”
- Harcourt’s “sisterhood” relationship with Adebayo was unexpected for Holland.
- Brooks improvised a lot during the scene where the team meet Peacemaker for the first time.
- Agee recorded everything on the set with his phone.
- Eagley is Peacemaker’s pet eagle and best friend. It was a doll with green tape on it on set.
- Gunn would go around set and scream “I can’t believe they’re letting me shoot this!”
- Gunn got to put in every character on the show that he wanted to.
- The most difficult part of being becoming Peacemaker for Cena was becoming a “high octane asshole” when he’s usually just used to being a “regular asshole.”
- Gunn wrote all 8 episodes and directed 5 out of the 8 episodes
- The tone is meant to be a workplace comedy. “The Office as a superhero show” but they shoot more people in the face.
- “Loyalty vs Morality” will be a major theme for the show.
I seriously can’t wait for this one to drop!
Peacemaker hits HBO Max, January 13, 2022!