In this week’s episode, Julie Kang (@JulieKang), N’jaila Rhee (@BlasianBytch), and Shawn Smith join Keith (@the_real_chow) on the roundtable to discuss the pop culture phenomenon that is Breaking Bad.
Topics covered on the show include:
- NOC typically deals with all facets of “spec-fic,” from sci-fi to fantasy to superheroes. What’s so spec-fic-y about Breaking Bad anyway?
- Breaking Bad is also about a White family (literally). How have characters of color been villainized and marginalized on the show? What is Vince Gilligan saying about white privilege vis a vis Walter White?
- Walter White is the protagonist, but by all rights, he isn’t the hero. So what contributes to the cult of Heisenberg? Have fans been watching the show wrong all this time, and is this what Gilligan intended all along?
- The portrayal of Skyler White has revealed deep-seated misogyny among the show’s legions of fans. We clearly aren’t supposed to like her, but we aren’t supposed to hate her either.
- The Nerds make bold predictions about the events in “Felina” and Julie and N’jaila explain why they want to hug Jesse.
- All this and a giant Meth Mecha on Hard NOC Life! Watch it on your screen, hit “play,” and check this.