DC just announced the ultimate Batman mobile experience for kids, the DC: Batman Bat-Tech Edition app! You can download the free mobile app now in the Apple and Google Play stores. I’ve had the opportunity to play around in the app for the last week and can say it’s a truly immersive and fun way for kids to experience the world of Batman.
In addition to a series of addictive mini-games, fun videos, and exclusive digital comics, the DC: Batman Bat-Tech Edition app also features first-of-its-kind augmented reality (AR) technology to engage kids and immerse them in a kid-friendly (and COPPA compliant) Gotham City.
“It follows all of the child safety protocols for digital and mobile devices,” said Kevin Morris, Vice President, Franchise Management and Marketing, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “So we are certain that this is something that is going to be a safe experience for kids, and parents appreciate that.”
After years of very adult-skewed Batman content, I always appreciate when DC remembers kids are their target audience. If there’s going to be a future for Batman in pop culture, you have to make sure kids are invested. Also, Batman is a global brand and this app reflects that as well.
“This has to be available to every kid, no matter where they are around the world,” continued Morris. “So we spent the resources to make sure that every single element of this app is translated into 13 different languages… and it really makes certain that everyone around the world can engage with this app which is super important to us.”
At launch, the DC: Batman Bat-Tech Edition app features:
- Augmented reality (AR) missions: Through the new app’s AR features, kids become a member of Batman’s new Knightwatch team and immerse themselves in original Batman crime-fighting missions. The amazing AR provides a realistic 3D experience that draws upon engineering and design concepts to make Batman’s Bat-Tech come to life.
- Mini games: Users can play a Batman-themed mobile driving game where players test their skills at driving the Batmobile; Batarang Practice where players face off against the clock and find out how many targets they can knock down; and the Grapnel Launcher game where players must run and jump while utilizing Batman’s abilities to overcome obstacles.
- AR face filters: Kids can transform into Batman, the Joker, Batgirl and more of Gotham City’s most iconic characters using these fun filters and can save photos and share them with friends and family.
- Sticker packs: Users can decorate photos with a variety of Batman-themed stickers, turning an ordinary shot into a cool Batman story.
- Batman Bat-Tech video content: The app connects to the extremely popular DCKids’ YouTube channel. A new series, entitled Batman Science Lab will launch this fall exploring the real-world applications of Batman’s technology.
- New missions, games, filters, sticker packs, and video content will be added and updated on a regular basis to keep the app experience fresh and fun for kids.
Additionally, launching exclusively on the DC: Batman Bat-Tech Edition app is a digital comic series, Batman – Knightwatch, where kids can explore how the Knightwatch program was created and follow along with Batman and his Super Hero team as they take on Gotham’s City’s Super-Villains following a massive breakout at Arkham Asylum. Additional digital comics will be added to the app on a regular basis.
Fans can download the DC: Batman Bat-Tech Edition today and help Batman save Gotham City. Available for free on the Apple Store and the Google Play store, the app is playable on both tablets and smart phones. The app is available globally and is localized in 13 different languages.