Okay, folks. We’re hurtling towards San Diego Comic-Con this week. Sadly, I can’t make it this year, but as Keith Chow said on the Hard NOC Life Podcast, I’ll be there in spirit.
Many of us have felt the sting of Star Wars whineboys, Tump’s obvious treasonous behavior, the #comicsgate and #gamergate travesties; waiting for a refund from Universal FanCon, or genuinely feel let down by nerd culture. I get it. Trust me. But this weekend should be a time for celebration, connecting with old friends, making new friends, and having fun. Yes! Remember when this stuff was fun?
So in the spirit of wanting everyone to have a great time, I’ve developed (another) set of rules for SDCC:
The 11 SDCC Commandments
1. Thou shalt ask permission to take photos of, and with, cosplayers. No boob shots, upskirts, or creepy behaviors. #CosplayDoesNotEqualConsent
2. Thou shalt exercise courtesy. ‘Please,’ ‘thank you,’ and ‘excuse me’ will be the default.
3. Thou shalt intervene when seeing someone in need. If you feel too afraid or ill-prepared or ill-skilled to intervene on your own, please find someone who can lend assistance.
4. Thou shalt shout ‘NO!’ boldly and loudly if witnessing any kind of injustice done to anyone. Injustice thrives off not being called to account.
5. Thou shalt not ask for freebies or try to make deals with artists. They are trying to produce the content you love. Pay them for their labor.
6. Thou shalt like what thou likes and not comment on what someone else likes. Let people dig what they dig, without dissing their tastes.
7. Thou shalt understand that seeing superhero movies is not the same as supporting comic books. Thou shalt purchase comic books.
8. Thou shalt recognize there is more than Hall H. Explore the nooks and crannies.
9. Thou shalt attend the Black Heroes Matter Flash Mob (Friday, July 20th, 6pm, Grand Staircase — SDCC).
10. Thou shalt #RallyForRose (Saturday, July 21st, 2pm, Bayfront Park — SDCC).
11. Thou shalt have fun.