Last week, we told you our own David Walker (@DavidWalker1201) had been named as the writer of Dynamite Entertainment’s new Shaft comics. Luckily, Keith (@the_real_chow) was able to talk with David about how he came to write the book for Dynamite — and the state of diversity in the comic book industry more broadly — in this special one-on-one conversation.
Topics covered on the show include:
- The pressure of writing one of the most iconic Black characters in fiction
- David’s years-long journey to bring Shaft to the comic book medium
- Why Dynamite Entertainment was the only publisher who could have done Shaft justice
- The difficulty of breaking into the comics industry as a writer, and especially as a writer of color
- David reveals the impetus behind his Sam Wilson vs. John Shaft post
- The difference between writing established characters and creating wholly new characters
- How the Big Two caters to fanboys the way Fox News caters to the Tea Party
- David’s multi-year plans for more Shaft storylines
- Why the artist Bilquis Evely’s career will blow up once Shaft comes out in December
- All this and more on Hard NOC Life! Watch it on your screen, hit “play,” and check this.