The #AAIronFist train continues! For the latest edition of Hard NOC Life, we welcome journalist Charles Pulliam-Moore and actor/dancer Cole Horibe stop by to talk about why having Iron Fist be an Asian American character makes the most sense. We should also point out that this episode was recorded the day before Scott Buck was announced as the showrunner of the forthcoming Netflix series.
Topics covered on the show include:
- The problematic aspects of Iron Fist’s comic backstory
- Danny Rand and the “mighty whitey” trope in western fiction
- The lack of meaningful roles for Asian Americans to be seen as leading men
- The fallacy of the “Asian martial artist” stereotype
- Marvel’s lack of representation in its cinematic universe
All this and more on Hard NOC Life! Watch it on your screen, hit “play,” and check this.