The trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Crimes of Grindelwald is finally out! Here’s hoping the movie can keep up with all of the plot lines that the trailer packed in. Below is a rundown for a few magical extras in this fantastical sequel. Spoilers start now!
- More creatures, including an Oni, and a Maledictus, to name a few.
- There’s more locations! FB will take us to the US, to Paris, to a circus, and back to Hogwarts.
- More fabulous costumes (which will surely mean more Hot Topic Fan Wear.)
- There’s more struggles in love. Not just with Dumbledore and his eponymous unrequited love. But there’s also the arrival of Leta Lestrange (played by Zoe Kravitz) and her fiance, Theseus, (Callum Taylor) who’s also Newt’s brother. #Awkward
- More Wizarding World mythos coming to life, from the Mirror of Erised, to Dumbledore and his magical frenemy Grindlewald.
J.K. Rowling is teaming up again with director David Yates (Harry Potter 5-8) and producer David Heyman to bring her Wizarding World to life. It’s no surprise Jo Rowling wants to take a bite out of a bigger and badder plot. Adding Dumbledore (played by a dashing and bearded Jude Law) is one thing. Adding Dumbledore and Grindelwald, the crux of much wizarding lore, is another. With what the Mirror of Erised shows us in this trailer, we can only assume that Dumbledore’s unrequited love will wreak havoc on all the fans with all the feels.
The trailer looks like Yates will keep the darker tone he set for Fantastic Beasts 1. Digging deeper into Dumbledore’s past is bound to both excite and frustrate fans, as it might tarnish that shiny veneer of his Headmaster days. There’s already so much to bring back from Fantastic Beasts 1; is it too early to bring back the HP Franchise into the newer FB outing? Maybe not.
Now for the biggest surprise: Nagini! South Korean actress Claudia Kim’s on-screen identity has been a close kept secret. She admitted at a press event that she didn’t even announce her character’s name at the first table read. Up til now, she has been credited as “The Maledictus,” but her role is more than meets the eye. Her reveal elicited screams from the screening, as well as a lot of questions. Is she the Dark Lord’s Nagini? And if so, how did Nagini the Circus Act become Nagini the Horcrux? Will she help Newt or let dark magic prevail?
For fans of the last Fantastic Beasts, there’s no doubt that this darker romp into the Wizarding World will continue to please. Without the books to guide the fans (or the actors!), everything that comes up is sure to be a welcome surprise. At the trailer screening, Ezra Miller even hinted that the actors knew some secrets for future installments. Meanwhile, the fans will just have wait and see what’s in store.
What did you think of the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Crimes of Grindelwald? Tell us at @thenerdsofcolor!